You won't need everything on this list. I wanted to give a complete list of what I have and use daily.
Acetone Removing the manufacturer’s screening.
Rubbing Alcohol Removing the residue from the acetone.
Cotton Balls For cleaning an entire face with alcohol.
Q-Tips For removing the factory paint.
Toothpicks For getting into tiny crevices and more.
Paint Brushes To paint your doll with.
Paint Palettes To hold the paint.
Paper Towels Paper towels or napkins for wiping your brush.
Doll of your choice Whichever doll you decide to work on.
Basic Pastels For blushing.
OttLite Lighting is very important.
Haircutting Combs For styling your dolls hair.
Bobby Pins For hair.
Drinking Straws For doll curlers.
Golden Sealers are about $7 to $10 for the 4 oz size. I buy all of my Golden Paints from www.italianartstore.com except my Polyurethane Topcoat Matte – I paid about $18 for the 8 oz size of Polyurethane Topcoat Matte directly and only through www.goldenpaint.com (call 800-959-6543).
Liquitex Varnishes will run about $5 - $10 for an 8 to 16 oz bottle.
Golden Polyurethane Topcoat Matte
Golden Polymer Varnish with UVLS (Satin)
Liquitex Medium Viscosity Acrylic Matte Permanent Varnish Flexible Surface
Liquitex Medium Viscosity Acrylic Gloss Medium & Varnish Flexible Surface
When using additives and Mediums it is best to use the correct product lines together. I would not add Golden Retarder to my Folk Art Paint. I would use Folk Art’s product. However I do have my Golden Acrylic Flow Release in the water that I use for everything. It is a very small amount and has never been a problem.
Golden Additives and Mediums
Golden Additives and Mediums are about $8 to $9 for the 8 oz size
• Golden Acrylic Flow Release
1 part to 6 parts water.
• Golden Retarder
1 part to 6 parts paint.
• Golden Fluid Matte Medium (used with Fluid Acrylics to make them more matte)
1 part to 3 parts paint.
Golden Matte Fluid Acrylics
This paint is very matte.
Prices on Golden Paint range from $6 to $12 for the 4 oz size.
BASE COLORS – The colors I always use. I can paint an entire doll with just these colors.
• Titanium White
• Titan Buff
• Burnt Sienna
• Burnt Umber
• Raw Umber
• Carbon Black
EXTRA COLORS – Eyes and Lips
• Anthraquinone Blue
• Dioxazine Purple
• Green Gold
• Jenkins Green
• Phthalo Blue
• Prussian Blue Hue
• Raw Sienna
• Turquois (Phthalo)
• Yellow Ochre
• Pyrrole Red
• Napthol Red Medium
• Quinacridone Crimson
Golden Fluid Acrylics
This paint leaves a shine.
• Cobalt Teal
• Violet Oxide
• Quinacridone Violet
• Quinacridone Red
• Prussian Blue Hue
• And so many more!
Folk Art and Apple Barrel
These paints are generally matte.
• These paints found at Walmart can be used to create an entire doll for a much better price. While I use these colors as well as Liquitex at times, I prefer Golden and use it more than any other color.
• Scharff 3000 3/0 Fine Line $6
• Scharff 400 6/0 Spotter $11
• Loew-Cornell 7650 18/0 Spotter $3
Where to buy your supplies:
• Italian Art Store (www.italianartstore.com)
An excellent source for Golden Paint Supplies
• Golden Paint (www.goldenpaint.com)
For any information you need or to buy Polyurethane Topcoat Matte
• Scharff Brushes, Inc. (www.artbrush.com)
• Jerry’s Artaroma (www.jerrysartarama.com)
Loew-Cornell Brushes and Liquitex Varnishes
• Sally’s Beauty Supply or any beauty supply store.
Bobby pins, hair combs, perm end wraps, acetone, etc…
• Joann’s Craft Store (www.joanns.com)
A variety of lighting with a magnifying glass - $100 to $300.
Rubbing Alcohol, Q-tips, cotton balls, paint palettes, craft paints.
• Cherished Friends (www.cherishedfriends.com)
A major supplier for fashion dolls – fast, friendly and helpful.
• Michaels Art Supply (www.michaels.com) or any local art supply store.
Generally an excellent source for paints, brushes, palettes and sealers.
Best place to market your art!