Monday, October 11, 2010

Monday Monday...


Soooo - I didn't have a really good night's sleep last night. One of my adorable babies, I won't name names, kept waking me up. To clarify, I didn't go to sleep until after 3AM. Roxy and I discovered Glee.... we are on the 10th episode of the first season. Couldn't stop watching! It is like a drug.

Little bit of a slow start this morning. COFFEE PLEASE!

I had a great weekend. Even though I work at home I treat my weekends no differently than anyone else. I do occasionally work over a weekend but mostly not, well other than laundry, house projects, etc...

When you work at home sometimes it is hard to get back to work on Monday since you don't have to wake up at a specific time and you don't have a particular "boss" to answer too. I would absolutely love to sit my ass in front of my TV and watch more Glee today. I could even justify it by saying I am tired because of last night and couldn't possibly be expected to create anything. So how do I motivate myself to come in here and get my butt in gear? Just like anyone else who has to get up and go to work. I know I have responsibilities. I know I have made promises. I love what I do. I remind myself that I am very lucky and should appreciate rather than begrudge. I also think about the people I will make happy. You don't know how many emails I get when people receive their dolls that say I have made their day.

So if you have ever considering starting your own 'at home business' but you are not sure if you have the discipline... just know that if you have the discipline to get up and go to work then you have it in you to do it for yourself. It isn't like you suddenly don't have the responsibilities you had before. They are still there. Sure, you have different worries and stresses. Following your dreams is very satisfying... I promise.

When I left my job to pursue being a full time artist I was petrified. First off, I didn't get the support at home. I did it anyway though. I really and truly believed in myself. I didn't start as a doll artist. I was painting watercolor fantasy art and selling it on eBay. I had been painting at night and working in the day. When my artwork was selling enough to match the salary I was making at my day job I decided I could quit my job. It had always been my plan. A goal I was working towards. It was met with much resistance. Basically I had been working two jobs. Roxy was about 7. I would pick her up from daycare after work and literally pass out on the couch I was so tired from staying up late at night painting. Of course I didn't do that every day. But I was afraid to quit my job. Afraid of the fight I would get. Afraid that I wouldn't be successful.

The first months at home were pretty good but soon more artists discovered eBay and before long I was painting more and more to make up for the sudden competition. I was aware of dolls when I left my job but it was felt that they were a waste of my time and I should focus on my painting. At first I resisted working on dolls because they took more time and I wasn't much of a seamstress. Later I discovered straight repainting. I knew deep down that dolls were my future. I was a cosmetologist as well as an artist. Faces are my favorite to paint. I love hairstyling. I love makeup. It was a match made in heaven.

More than ten years has passed since then and I couldn't be happier. I feel like I am ever growing and changing... evolving with the times. As an artist it is important to continue to explore what thrills you and trusting in yourself.

Today, think about what makes you happy. If you have a dream... write it down. If you see someone doing something you love, find out how they got there and literally follow their footsteps. Don't buy into your own self doubts. Don't let fear control your destiny. Believe in yourself. Know you are as deserving. Know that you are smart enough. I am not saying to start your own business because maybe that isn't what would make you happy. I am saying to follow your dreams. I am saying to trust yourself.

Have a wonderful Monday and remember that life is too short and too precious to spend a moment of it in a place you don't want to be. Follow your heart. Find your happiness. Live your dream.

XOXO LL

No comments:

Post a Comment